The IIF is pleased to introduce a section focusing on macroeconomic forecasting (GDP forecasting, inflation forecasting, macroeconomic nowcasting with large data sets, business cycles analysis, survey expectations, density forecasting, DSGE models, etc.). As macroeconomic forecasting has always been a strong component of the IIF, this section fits in well with our organizational goals.
This new section, MacroFor, includes the following objectives:
- Create a network of macroeconomic forecasters within the IIF
- Help to organize the macroeconomics forecasting sessions during the ISFs and propose specific sessions, as for example an expert panel on current macro forecasting issues
- Organize workshops on macroeconomic forecasting, with the help of the IIF
- Propose special issues/sections for IJF on some specific macro topics
- Contribute to diffuse information on workshops, conferences, calls for papers dealing with macroeconomic forecasting, and act as a contact point with other organizations. In this respect, a Twitter account, @MacroFor, has been created and will constitute one channel of communication, in addition to the IIF website.
- Attract young researchers in macro forecasting to the IIF
- Serve as a bridge between macro forecasters from institutions (international organizations, public bodies, private) and academics
- Propose names for possible nominations to the IIF Board
The Officers of the section include, Laurent Ferrara, Chair; Pilar Poncela, Vice Chair; Gergely Ganics, Secretary.